Friday, April 25, 2014

V for Venom

Day 22 of the A to Z Challenge. Today's offering:


V is for Venom by Fiona Paul


BOOK BLURB:
Cassandra Caravello is one of Renaissance Venice’s lucky elite: with elegant gowns, sparkling jewels, her own lady’s maid, and a wealthy fianc√©, she has everything a girl could desire. Yet ever since her parents’ death, Cassandra has felt trapped, alone in a city of water, where the dark and labyrinthine canals whisper of escape.

When Cass stumbles upon a murdered woman—practically in her own backyard—she’s drawn into a dangerous world of courtesans, killers, and secret societies. Soon, she finds herself falling for Falco, a mysterious artist with a mischievous grin... and a spectacular skill for trouble. Can Cassandra find the murderer, before he finds her? And will she stay true to her fianc√©, or succumb to her uncontrollable feelings for Falco?

Beauty, love, romance, and mystery weave together in a stunning novel that’s as seductive and surprising as the city of Venice itself.
COVER RATING: On a scale of 1-9
Love the colors, spunk and beauty of this cover! Plus I collect masks so any cover with a fantastic mask is gonna catch me.
MY THOUGHTS:
This another on the TBR pile. Now I’m a bit behind with the series, because since I picked it up, at RT convention in Chicago two years ago, the other two books in the series have been released. The plot sounds fantastic and I love all things Italy (thus why my current WIP is set in modern Rome and features the Borgia family). But I am not a historical person. At all.
Sure I love the occasional historical movie and TV shows (Reign!) but reading about it is quite different. Only because the kind of back bone and spunk that a heroine has to possess for me to really like her was not typical or even common back then.
Yes, there were strong women, cunning girls, and devious socialites. But they were few and far between, and usually still lost out to the cruelty of men. And from what ‘ve gathered, there’s a lot of crazy action--and by that I mean death, in this series. But I’ve also heard the romance in it is very good and addictive and swoon worthy.

So again, I’m back to why I’m still on the fence about picking up this series. I don’t know anyone who’s read Venom to ask their opinion, so if any of you have, let me know what you thought
There you go, come back tomorrow for day 23!
Later lovelies!
<3 L.H.


a Rafflecopter giveaway