Friday, April 11, 2014

J for The Juliet Club

Day 10 of the A to Z Challenge. today's offering:


J is for The Juliet Club by Suzanne Harper

BOOK BLURB:
Italy . . . Shakespeare . . . but no romance?

Kate Sanderson inherited her good sense from her mother, a disciplined law professor, and her admiration for the Bard from her father, a passionate Shakespeare scholar. When she gets dumped, out of the blue, for the Practically Perfect Ashley Lawson, she vows never to fall in love again. From now on she will control her own destiny, and every decision she makes will be highly reasoned and rational. She thinks Shakespeare would have approved.

So when she is accepted to a summer Shakespeare symposium in Verona, Italy, Kate sees it as the ideal way to get over her heartbreak once and for all. She'll lose herself in her studies, explore ancient architecture, and eat plenty of pasta and gelato. (Plus, she'll be getting college credit for it--another goal accomplished ) But can even completely logical Kate resist the romance of living in a beautiful villa in the city where those star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet met and died for each other? Especially when the other Shakespeare Scholars--in particular Giacomo, with his tousled brown hair, expressive dark eyes, and charming ways--try hard to break her protective shell?

"In fair Verona, where we lay our scene . . . "
COVER RATING: On a scale of 1-9
I was originally going to give this cover a one point lower rating, but then I thought, even thought this book is a contemporary, it deserves and extra point for not being like every other contemporary book cover.

TO BE READ:
The Juliet Club came across my path a few months back, even though it was released in ’08. As we’ve established, I’m not much for the contemporary genre. But this one hangs out in the back corner of my book brain shelves, popping up here and there saying, “remember me?” What catches me, SHAKESPEAR! Romeo and Juliet is NOT my favorite of his works, it’s my second, maybe third. (A Midsummer’s Night Dream is my top fav Shakespeare)

I love all things Italian! So stories set in Italy, especially the most romantic city in all of the country, yeah, you get my attention. This book seems like it would be similar to the movie “letters to Juliet” which I like, another bonus point. I’ve also heard it’s pretty funny-in the fluffy way. So who knows, maybe over the summer I’ll give it a try. Like last time, I want to hear y’all’s thoughts! Leave me a comment, and if you’ve read it, sound off with your opinion.
There you go, come back tomorrow for day 11!
Later lovelies!
<3 L.H.
Find out more about the April A to Z blog challenge, and check out the other participants!
a Rafflecopter giveaway