Friday, November 15, 2013

The Disney lover in me

Those who know me know that I am, have always been and will always be a HUGE Disney girl. When I was younger I wanted to work for Disney as an animator because the movies and cartoon shows they made always took my breath away! They where so beautiful, so amazing and the artistry that goes into hand drawing each and every second of the films blows my mind. 
That being said, clearly that plan didn't work out. I can draw, and I think I'm pretty decent at it, but I knew I would never be good enough to work for Disney studios. 
But I still love art- looking at it, creating it- and Disney art is some of my favorite. But I found a new love for photography and graphic design. One of the biggest things to know about me is that for my junior and senior years of high school I attended a vocational school because I HATED my high school and didn't feel like I knew who I was and nothing at my HS would help me figure out who I am and what I want to do. So I signed up for my VOTECH schools and selected my top 2 programs: graphic design and imagery or Culinary arts (though I will admit I choose that because I wanted to be like Sailor Jupiter). I got my acceptance letter but was informed that my first choice, Graphic design was already full so I was enrolled in the culinary arts program.
This was the best consequence of being late to ever happen in my life. When I started school and met all my Chef instructors and the other students, I found myself. My Pastry Chef- Chef Milli was the first to realize that I had a thing for art and she kinda took me under her wing and kept me focused in the pastry kitchen for the school. The greatest thing for me was that I realized I could still do art and put it into cakes and show pieced and plated desserts. From there I did competitions and ended up earning enough scholarships to go to culinary school and get my associates degree in Baking and Pastry Art. 
Now yes I have gotten away from Disney but there is a tie in here.
Part of my degree was doing an internship with any company that was affiliated with my college. Disney just so happened to be one of them. When I realized that it was like a dream come true. (pun fully intended) So it came down to two choices for me: Enter into the college program with Disney or try for an internship spot abroad in Ireland at a "Castle resort" there. Clearly I chose Disney.
Yes I had plenty of people ask me if I was crazy for passing up a chance to live abroad, but Disney was my dream, the goal I had wanted for myself since I was little. I wasn't passing up this chance, not even for a life abroad.
 And working for the mouse was the 2nd best choice I had made in my life. I had already figured out who I was during my VOTECH years and at college, but working at Disney made me more. It helped me open up to people, embrace my inner child and not try to hide it because I was afraid of people thinking me a freak for it. If you work at Disney it's because you are a Disney freak yourself. I met the most amazing people, definitely had my fair share of romances, and got to live a dream for four of the happiest years of my life. The friends I made there where some of the best, many of whom I still talk to, even though I left Disney in 2008 because I needed to be back home with my family in Ohio. But just because I left does not mean I am over Disney. Not even by a long shot.
Since my departure I have been back several times and I am hoping to go back again this year with some of my old Disney friends for a reunion of sorts.
  The pictures I have up here are all ones I have taken myself, evidence of my love for photography, from my latest trip last Halloween. Clearly romance, and the Princesses and Princes, are my favorite part of Disney. But there is one other thing that comes in a very close second. DOes anyone remember the Disney cartoons of the 90's and early 00's? I do! I proudly admit to having a lot of them on DVD (yes I watch them by myself) and I hope to share them with my niece and nephews- and hopefully my own kids some day- when they are old enough. These shows- Gargoyles, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Aladdin, Little Mermaid and many others- are still a huge inspiration to me, especially with my writing!
  Well there you have it. A little bit about me and my Disney love (ahem obsession) and some of my personal favorite photos.

Laters my lovelies,
<3 always L.H.